The year 1990 marked Poplar Tree Elementary's School's opening in the rapidly expanding suburban community of Chantilly located in western Fairfax County. The faculty, community, and students share enormous pride in the school's diversity, concern for academic achievement and learning, and expectations for success. Our motto, “What we believe, is what we achieve…so soar!” sets the tone for the school’s culture and commitment to teaching and learning.
Poplar Tree dedicates itself to the belief that all our students, including those with diverse needs, will be prepared for a rapidly changing technological world and will be able to access information, solve problems, think critically, make responsible decisions, and learn to cooperate and work productively within the school and community, while becoming life-long learners.
As a professional learning community, we will meet the needs of all students by creating a safe environment that fosters student achievement, appreciates and celebrates diversity, and inspires responsible citizens who are R2ICH (respect, responsibility, integrity, caring, and honesty) with character. “What we believe, is what we achieve… so soar!”
Inherent in this school’s mission are the BELIEFS that:
- All children have the right to learn in a safe and caring environment, achieve to their fullest potential, and be treated with dignity and respect
- Successful learning occurs when every child has the motivation, willingness and support to succeed; and is given high quality and challenging instruction
- All children are unique and have the ability to learn and contribute to our learning community
- Learning is a continuous journey filled with adventure, discovery, and exploration
- An active partnership among our school community is an essential building block towards exceptional student achievement
Inherent in this school’s mission are the CORE VALUES that:
By fostering a deep respect for achievement and learning, by providing educational programs that permit all children to develop to their fullest potentials, by supporting each student by differentiating instruction to meet individual needs and learning styles, by strengthening teacher collaboration and student learning through collaborative teams, and by using the unique abilities and talents of staff members and the community, Poplar Tree School remains committed to providing excellence in learning and preparing students to become tomorrow's global citizens.
- Learning occurs best when teachers know their students (academically, socially, and emotionally) and lead by setting an example of excellence
- Children learn by accessing background knowledge, exploring meaning, and making connections
- Academic Choice increases motivation to learn
- Students will be provided with support by specialists, volunteers, and members of the school community
Last Updated: 2011-08-02