Mount Vernon Woods Elementary School is a school committed to empowering students to meet high expectations by creating a respectful, responsible, positive, and collaborative learning environment. As a community, we believe collaborative teaching and learning will empower both teachers and students to meet challenges and overcome obstacles to learning. We feel we all must work together as a team to support each individual child’s success.
To accomplish this, our staff is a Professional Learning Community. We continuously analyze data and student needs and look for ways to improve our instruction. Each grade level meets in collaborative learning teams to plan instruction, create shared understanding, discuss best practices, reflect on instructional practice, design assessments, analyze data, and plan intervention and enrichment. This cycle enables us to not only meet each child’s need, but also to grow, learn and improve our practice as professional educators.
This year our staff will focus on the following initiatives:
- Collaborative walkthroughs to study student engagement and best practice instruction
- Increase parent involvement though NNPS and PTO
- Continue supporting students in setting and celebrating academic and personal SMART goals
- Differentiated academic enrichment and intervention
- Weekly monitoring of targeted students
- Using our strengths to increase hope, student engagement and well being
Last Updated: 2013-04-08