Fairfax Villa Elementary is a very special place. Visitors consistently comment on the indefinable quality one senses upon entering the school. It’s like a family and known around Fairfax County to be a “small school with a BIG heart.”
Fairfax Villa Elementary opened its doors for the first time in September 1967, and a total renovation was completed in 1994. The large athletic field, picnic areas, and beautiful courtyard are enjoyed by students, staff members, and community members.
Functioning as a community of learners, staff members are child focused. Students are taught as individuals, and staff members work collaboratively as a team to help all children reach their limitless potential.
Special programs have long been a key element at Fairfax Villa Elementary. Students with special needs are integrated instructionally and socially and are a part of the fabric of the school community. At Fairfax Villa Elementary, the focus is on student outcomes in the core academic areas with enhancement by teaching specialists who help develop the whole child.
Opportunities for extracurricular activities and enrichment exist for every child through such programs as the Student Council Association, Eco-Club, safety patrol program, drama, band, strings, TV6 news team, reading buddies, preschool helpers, yearbook committee, Special Olympics, Girls on the Run, FLEX, and the sixth grade musical performance.
Dragons Dare to be safe, be respectful, and be responsible! This is part of the Fairfax Villa Elementary positive behavior support program. Each quarter, students are recognized for their achievement in citizenship. Students also learn the value of giving back to the community through participation in the SuperKids! Community Service Program on Monday afternoons.
Parents are encouraged to participate in their child’s educational program to suggest appropriate approaches for meeting the needs of all students in our school. The PTA provides parents with opportunities to become active in the school and sponsor many family activities.
The community of learners of Fairfax Villa Elementary School envision a diverse community of learners working together to achieve their limitless potential as moral, conscientious citizens.
- Students will develop an awareness of community resources and how they can make a difference within that community.
- Students will develop a sense of purpose and an awareness of societal responsibility.
- Students will be sensitive to individual differences.
- Students will accept diversity.
- Students, parents and staff will collaboratively be accountable for high achievement in the classroom and within the community.
The mission of Fairfax Villa Elementary School is to meet the educational needs, support essential life skills, and promote citizenship of all students. We will ensure that “Fairfax Villa Dragons” dare to make good choices, to aim high, and to help others.
The Fairfax Villa School community recognizes that all students can learn. We will engage in on-going assessment to monitor that learning. We will remediate and challenge all students using a variety of strategies, programs, resources and best instructional practices. We will work collaboratively to set high expectations and offer a challenging, stimulating curriculum.
- All students can learn.
- That the partnership between family, community, and school is essential to our success.
- In remediating and challenging all students using best instructional practices based on research.
- That technology plays a key role in preparing children for the twenty-first century.
- That individual needs of each child are recognized and met through differentiation.
- That students should be safe, responsible, and respectful.
- In helping students to recognize their talents and contribute to society.
Last Updated: 2009-07-17