Thursday, October 04, 2007
FCPS Solicits Public Comment on Proposed New Foreign Language Textbooks
Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) is soliciting community input on proposed new foreign language textbooks for German, French, Latin, and Spanish students in grades 7-12 beginning Thursday, October 4, through Monday, November 5. The books will be available at eight Fairfax County public library branches.
Citizens are encouraged to review the proposed textbooks and complete comment sheets that will be forwarded to the School Board before it votes on the textbooks at its December 20 business meeting. The new textbooks will be phased in over the next three years beginning with the 2008-09 school year.
Textbook review committees composed of community members, administrators, and teachers met in June to review basal textbooks for middle and high school German, French, Latin, and Spanish. Public review of the recommended books is part of the process for selecting new textbooks.
The recommended texts will be available at the following eight Fairfax County regional libraries:
- Centreville Regional Library, 14200 St. Germain Drive, Centreville.
- Chantilly Regional Library, 4000 Stringfellow Road, Chantilly.
- Fairfax City Regional Library, 3915 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax.
- George Mason Regional Library, 7001 Little River Turnpike, Annandale.
- Pohick Regional Library, 6450 Sydenstricker Road, Burke.
- Reston Regional Library, 11925 Bowman Towne Drive, Reston.
- Sherwood Regional Library, 2501 Sherwood Hall Lane, Alexandria.
- Tysons-Pimmit Regional Library, 7584 Leesburg Pike, Falls Church.
For more information, contact Paula Patrick, FCPS foreign language coordinator, at 703-208-7724 or email@example.com .