Friday, November 30, 2012
Marshall High School DECA Launches Service Project to Benefit Concerns of Police Survivors
Marshall High School DECA is coordinating a Keep Calm and Honor On community service project to benefit Concerns of Police Survivors (C.O.P.S.) from December 3-14. The DECA chapter has planned a number of events to raise awareness among students and is collecting donations to create 250 honor bags for children who have lost a police officer parent in the line of duty. Marshall High School is a Fairfax County public school.
During the two-week period, a number of events are planned to raise awareness and collect donations to purchase items for the honor bags. They include:
- Retired Virginia state trooper Richard Cheney will speak to students, on behalf of the national board of C.O.P.S., to share the experiences of children who have lost a parent on Tuesday, December 4, at 9 a.m.
- A Fairfax County Police Department (FCPD) helicopter will land at Marshall High at 8:45 a.m. on Thursday, December 6. Students will be invited to visit and talk with the officers about their experiences from 8:45 to 9:30 a.m.
- On Friday, December 7, students are invited to play an interactive game of Clue throughout the day to find out who stole the school mascot. Follow @keepcalmhonoron for clues.
- A FCPD motorcycle will be featured in the Marshall High cafeteria during all lunch periods on Monday, December 10 (11 a.m.-1:15 p.m.).
- A FCPD bomb squad dog unit will visit the Marshall High cafeteria during all lunch periods on Wednesday, December 12 (11 a.m.-1:15 p.m.).
- Cops and Robbers Spirit Day is planned for Thursday, December 13, with prizes going to the most authentically-dressed students.
- FCPD police officers and their families are invited to attend the Marshall High boys varsity basketball game on Friday, December 14, and will be recognized during the game. Officers who show their badges will receive free entrance to the game.
The DECA chapter has planned several fundraisers to cover the costs of items (including stickers, markers, coloring books, puzzles, and card games) to be included in the honor bags. They include:
- On Monday, December 3, a fundraiser will be held at Ledo’s Pizza (7510 Leesburg Pike, Falls Church) from 4 to 10 p.m.; patrons who mention DECA-COPS will donate 20 percent of their order’s cost to the project.
- On Tuesday, December 11, a fundraiser will be held at Lava Yogurt (7500 Leesburg Pike, Falls Church) from 2:30 to 9 p.m.; patrons who mention DECA-COPS will donate 10 percent of their order’s cost to the project.
- COPcake bake sales will be held on Friday, December 7 and 14, from 2:15 to 3 p.m. in the school lobby.
- Marshall’s DECA chapter will sell Keep Calm and Honor On T-shirts during the two-week period to raise funds.
Follow @keepcalmhonoron on Twitter for details.
Note: Marshall High School is located at 7731 Leesburg Pike
in the Falls Church area of Fairfax County. For more information, contact Marshall High DECA advisor Jen Hendrickson at 703-714-5331 or firstname.lastname@example.org.